Ok so here we are, third lockdown. Have you finished swearing about the government, the dancing gards, and how this is all a conspiracy theory? Some have gotten used to it while others are making lists of what and where their gonna go (please not Dubai) when we are released from the Covid19 house arrest.
We should all see this as a time for growth. Don't roll your eyes. But there is no point in being negative. You will still have to wake up tomorrow and this will still be your reality. It's like that movie Groundhog Day. Make the most of it. Learn a new hobby that you kept putting off because you didn't have the time in 2019. Learn a language for all of the places you have been dreaming of going to. Upskill. Get healthy and lose some of those pounds from the biscuits you have been hoarding in your drawer by your bed. I see you! Not everyone can be the John Travolta of Tik Tok. I'll give you a few ideas to get you motivated.
Learn a new language
There are many online courses to learn languages. You could even be savvy and find one on Youtube. My go-to course is Fluentu.com. It's easy and I have found that I learn the languages quicker with their videos and conversational talks. But there are loads online so choose the one that suits your budget and base it on how committed you are to learning that language.
- Coursera offers some great courses. They do a free trial and they have courses that are in high demand areas.
- Udemy is my favorite. They have a HUGE selection of courses in every niche you could imagine. The best part is, it's cheap. Catch them on their sale days and you will bag yourself an expensive course for €12.99 sometimes less.
- LinkedIn has an academy. Their usually short courses, but they are put together well. If I just want a course in how to use SUM in excel, I would use their academy. It's led by professionals but there is a membership you need to join to use the courses.
- Check out your local community center online. They are a plethora of information. Sometimes they offer some excellent classes online and groups to join. For example, look at Ongar Community Centre to get an idea of how useful your local community center can be. It's an untapped source and not many people think to look there.
Learn a hobby
I can hear you saying, "my new hobby is being my child's school teacher!" I mean a hobby for YOU! A time where you can break away from everyone and work on yourself. You've seen everything on Netflix. Time to do something else.
- Learn to paint.
- Macrame. Make plant hangers.
- Read up on how to make a vegetable garden.
- Redecorate and organize your home.
- Woodwork. It's relaxing and you might love it so much you'll make yourself a little studio.
- Repurpose old furniture.
- Learn to cook some fancy meals.
- Learn basic car repairs.
- Master Photoshop. You can start taking photos and then get paid for them!
- Play the Guitar. Maybe you'll be the next Jimi Hendrix!
Join a social club
Some clubs aren't meeting at the moment with Covid but get to know the club you want to join. We won't be under these restrictions forever. It's a great way to make new friends. If you join a club in something that interests you, you already have something in common. Boom! Instant connection. Search for the type of club you want to join on Facebook and join several. All the people on them are incredibly friendly so give it a go! Another option is Meetup but I have found it's not as active anymore. Facebook groups are a better option.
Get healthy both physically and mentally
This is so important. When most people think about getting healthy it's always geared toward weight loss. That should never be the case. Having a healthy mindset is equally if not more important. It can affect the way you think about everything. You need to be ready to take on the world. Yes, having a healthy body is great. But what controls that body? Your mind. I would recommend John Dawson. He will teach you how to develop and improve your mindset to help you achieve success. John is a professional on this topic and even has a book in the works. Go check him out!
Another tip I have is walking. Now I know on these cold mornings, it is hard to find motivation. So, I found an alternative for you. I won't take full credit because my mum introduced me to this, and I have been doing them every morning in my bedroom since.Fast walking in 30 minutes! Don't laugh until you try it. Trust me, Leslie will become your new best friend.
Take vitamin D! Doctors are now prescribing this with Covid meds. Drink at least 2 liters of water and take some good vitamins.
Take note of this booklist for some quiet "YOU" time
I just love a good book. It is a bit overwhelming when you go to buy one tho. I'll give you a few that have been recommended to me but feel free to comment on what your favorites are.
- The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
- The Cuckoos Egg by Cliff Stoll
- The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Michael
- Lincoln by D. Herbert
- The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
- Rewire Your Mindset by Brian Keane
- Think Like A Monk by Jay Shetty
Start a new business
I started Spaceshields during Covid back in July of 2020. My family and friends complained the face mask was unbearable for them. So I went on a search for something better than a homemade t-shirt mask. It came from a need which then turned into a passion and then became my bread and butter. I love what I do which shows when I talk about it. Because it is a face shield and it looks different than other face shields, I had people that doubted what I was doing. But I believed in what I was doing so much that I was able to keep pushing forward through the negative comments. The emails I get from customers about how much they love the space shield drives me to keep going. It gives me a purpose. I love what I do so much that I can't imagine not doing it. I will always be a business owner now and I am constantly evolving my business to make it more viable in the future.
You don't need a degree to start a business. You need persistence, passion for what you are selling and courage. Sometimes people will not be interested in what you are selling and they may say something negative. Take that negative and flip it into a positive. In the negative comments, you can find ways to evolve your business into something better. There are so many resources for new businesses. Check online for what's available to you. Because of Covid19, now is the time to start an E-commerce business.
"There's no shortage of remarkable ideas, what's missing is the will to execute them." – Seth Godin
You can emerge from this lockdown an even better person than when you went into it. So get out of that ugly robe you've been in for the last year and get going! You've got work to do!
Written by Andrea Cummings
A cyber security graduate freelancing as a sales and blog copywriter.